Looking for a fun craft to do this Christmas Holiday Season?
These Button Christmas Trees were SO much fun to make!! Of course it's even more fun when you craft with friends.. so gather some friends, have them each bring some old buttons, straight pins and a styrofoam cone.. you'll be in for hours of fun and giggles!
My friend Joy and I saw this idea on Pinterest LAST YEAR and never had time to make our trees, so we finally set a date, and invited Roxanne to join us, and the 3 of us sat and had the best afternoon making our button trees last weekend!
Button Tree Supplies you'll need:
- Styrofoam cone (tree) – we used 9", 10", 12" and 14" cones, available at craft stores
- Buttons – we used between 250 and 350 buttons per tree (approx) – mostly retired Stampin' Up! buttons
- Straight pins with pearl heads – we used white and red, approx 350 to 450 per tree (some buttons required 2 or 4 pins to keep them secure). Click to see the white ones I used.
- a topper "ornament" for your tree – optional
These were the buttons I brought for us to share (plus the huge ones not shown in this photo), and I think almost all of them are retired Stampin' UP! buttons (me, a hoarder??). I did buy the cute bright green ones on the left on Amazon along with the pins.
The cone above is a green styrofoam cone, and you'll notice it shows between the buttons… which was ok with me.
I also found pre-glittered cones last year and we used those for our trees, too.
When I posted these on Facebook last weekend, I was asked if I had any tips…
- pick a color scheme
- start around the bottom, then work your way up
- I preferred to work with my larger buttons toward the bottom and tried to use smaller ones at the top
- fill in empty spots with tiny buttons
- have more pins on hand than you think you'll need
- have fun!!
Are they just too much fun or what!? I love them!! I'm so glad we made them!
Thanks Roxy and Joy for being my crafty partners in crime!
Need a Stampin' UP! catalog? Please Ask!
Want to place a Stampin' Up! order? Click to shop in my online Stampin' Up! store 24/7!
Rewards! Be sure to record your $50+ orders on your Free Stamps with Patty form!
Sign Up for my Customer Newsletter
Patty's FREE VIDEO tutorials