I know you are loving the Flowering Foils Sale-a-Bration designer paper as much as I am, because I’ve been tracking your Sale-a-Bration gift selections on your orders since it released on March 3rd, and it’s been the most popular item out of the 5 new Sale-a-Bration gifts!! Whohooo!! So here is a watercolor idea for you using reinkers (ink refills), your Aqua Painter (or a paint brush) and a Clear Block with the Flowering Foils paper!!
I saw this idea over the weekend when Stampin’ Up! CEO Sara Douglass streamed a live crafting day with her family. Her daughter Sidney showed how she put drops of reinker on a large clear block (Block F) and then with the Aqua Painter, pulled the color across the block to dilute the intensity of the color (see above). That way, you can pick up the color anywhere along that swath of color and get all different shades of one color!! I thought it was so brilliant and I had to try it IMMEDIATELY!
Above & Below: the colors I used on this piece of Flowering Foils paper are:
Flowering Foils Watercoloring Tips:
- Use the clear block to place drops of your reinker, pull/dilute the color with your Aqua Painter across the block
- Use the most diluted area of color first to give a loose light wash over the flower, leaving a few white spots if possible
- As the diluted base color starts to dry, add some more intense color in the areas that would be darkest
- Don’t be afraid to mix colors.. or, stick to one color for a more monochromatic look
- Try to leave some white areas on the flower.. it makes them look more 3-D. This is hard for me.. but I like the images with some white the best
I also wanted to try a combo with purples and blues, and then decided to do 1/2 the sheet with pinks, so the colors of ink refills I used to color this sheet are:
Gorgeous Grape, Highland Heather. Lovely Lipstick and Seaside Spray for the purple/blue flowers.
Petal Pink and Blushing Bride for the soft pink flowers.
And THEN we have my favorite piece, all done with “Patty Colors” (as my friends call them).
Free Sale-a-Bration Item with purchase
Don’t forget, the Flowering Foils designer paper pack has 4 different patterns, and is your free gift option with $50 online order WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!
Want to leave a comment? Please CLICK HERE.
NOTE: with the transition of the new Stampin' UP! online store on 8-4-20, you may experience some issues with products not linking correctly. If that happens, please use the item code numbers listed below to shop Stampin' UP! online. Contact me if you need assistance.